Interested in helping alleviate the City of Harrisburg’s food desert status?
Did you know…
- The U.S. Department of Agriculture has designated the City of Harrisburg a ‘food desert’?
Did you know that the Broad Street Market…
- Helps alleviate the city’s status as a food desert
- Is designated as a non-profit and in one of the longest continually operating farmers markets in the United States
- Is an urban, public market; as such, it makes available to our community a wide variety of fresh, raw and prepared foods
- Provides a source for fresh foods to the community that would otherwise have to travel outside of the City of Harrisburg to shop for nutritional needs
- Is led by volunteer community members who oversee the general function of the Market, promotes its historic character, maintains an environment that strives to educate and reconnect people to the land and the production of their food and supports community entrepreneurialism
The Broad Street Market Alliance is seeking candidates for its Board of Directors. Currently board members meet monthly and serve a minimum two year term and bring a broad array of experiences to the board.
They also act as ambassadors in the community, promote and educate people about the market, plan for the future, provide governance and attend to the physical infrastructure of the Market.
We are currently seeking individuals who come from the diverse cultural and ethnic communities within the City of Harrisburg and who have leadership and/or board experience and a passion for our mission.
We are seeking individuals who have expertise in some of the following areas but not limited to these skillsets:
- Experience writing and acquiring grants for non-profits
- Experience in working with agriculture-related organizations and/or the Department of Agriculture
- Knowledge and experience of the general infrastructure and maintenance of historic properties
If this kind of volunteer opportunity excites you, please submit questions and/or a brief letter of interest and resume to BSMAinfo@broadstreetmarket.org
The Broad Street Market Alliance does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), gender, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, or any other characteristic protected by law in any of its activities or operations.